The Weekly HeadShave

 




The first thing Ron noticed about prison was the sound.

Not the shouting.

Not the metal doors.

Not the guards' boots striking the concrete corridors.

It was the locks.

Every door seemed to possess its own language of metal: a key turning, a bolt sliding, a latch snapping into place.

Click.

Clank.

Thud.

Each sound reminded him that something had closed behind him.

Ron was twenty-three when he entered Central District Prison.

He had spent the previous few months convincing himself that everything would somehow work out.

The court had convicted him of eve-teasing after an incident involving a young woman outside a shopping complex. Ron had followed her for part of the way, shouted inappropriate comments, laughed when she objected, and continued despite her obvious discomfort.

His friends had called it harmless.

Ron had believed them.

The woman had not.

Neither had the court.

Now Ron stood behind the prison gates with a small bag of personal belongings and an expression that still carried traces of disbelief.

A warder checked his papers.

"Name?"

"Ron."

"Full name."

Ron answered.

"Age?"

"Twenty-three."

The warder looked at him.

"First sentence?"

"Yes."

The man handed the papers to another officer.

"Then listen carefully. Prison isn't a place where you negotiate every instruction."

Ron nodded.

The gate opened.

He walked inside.

Behind him came the sound he would never forget.

Clank.

The gate closed.


Chapter One: Seema

Warder Seema was forty-three years old.

She had worked inside correctional institutions for almost seventeen years.

During those years she had seen prisoners arrive frightened, angry, arrogant, broken, remorseful, manipulative, and occasionally genuinely transformed.

She had learned not to judge a prisoner solely by his first day.

But she had also learned that some men hid behind excuses.

"It was only a joke."

"She misunderstood."

"I didn't mean anything."

"Everyone does it."

Seema had heard every version.

She despised the casual way some prisoners discussed crimes against women.

To her, harassment was not entertainment.

Fear was not entertainment.

Humiliation was not entertainment.

And a woman's discomfort was not an invitation to continue.

That was why Ron immediately attracted her attention.

Not because he was the worst prisoner.

He wasn't.

He was young.

Too young, Seema sometimes thought.

But he had the irritating confidence of someone who still believed consequences happened to other people.

During his first week, she watched him during morning roll call.

"Stand straight."

Ron adjusted his posture.

"Eyes forward."

He obeyed.

"Don't whisper."

He stopped.

He was learning the rules.

But Seema wasn't interested merely in whether he could follow prison regulations.

She wanted to know whether he understood why he was there.

One morning, she stopped beside him.

"Ron."

"Yes, Madam?"

"Do you remember the reason for your sentence?"

His face tightened.

"Yes."

"Say it."

Ron hesitated.

"Eve-teasing."

Seema stared at him.

"That's a convenient phrase."

He said nothing.

"You were convicted of harassing a woman."

"I know."

"Then say that."

Ron looked uncomfortable.

"I harassed a woman."

"Again."

"I harassed a woman."

Seema nodded.

"Good. Remember the difference."

Then she walked away.

Ron watched her go.

He didn't like her.

Not even slightly.


Chapter Two: The Barber Shop

Three weeks into his sentence, Ron was scheduled for a haircut.

The prison barber shop was located near the laundry building.

It was a narrow room with two old barber chairs, a cracked mirror, a stainless-steel sink, shelves of disinfectant bottles, combs, scissors, clippers, towels, and shaving equipment.

There was no music.

No television.

Only the humming of an old ceiling fan.

The barber, a middle-aged man named Mahesh, had worked there for years.

Ron sat in the first chair.

"How much?" Mahesh asked.

"Just shorten it."

Mahesh looked at his hair.

"Standard?"

"Yes."

The cape went around Ron's shoulders.

Mahesh switched on the clippers.

Bzzzzzzzz.

Ron watched his reflection.

For a moment, he almost forgot where he was.

He looked like himself again.

The clippers moved through the sides of his hair.

Dark strands fell onto the cape.

Ron watched them collect.

Then the door opened.

Mahesh's hands stopped.

Ron looked into the mirror.

Seema stood in the doorway.

She surveyed the room.

"Routine inspection," she said.

Mahesh nodded.

"Yes, Madam."

Her eyes settled on Ron.

"You're getting a haircut."

"Yes."

She stepped closer.

"How are you doing?"

"Fine."

"Are you participating in the counseling sessions?"

"Yes."

"Are you listening?"

Ron shrugged.

Seema noticed.

"What does that mean?"

"I'm listening."

"Are you understanding?"

Ron sighed.

"I said I'm listening."

Seema's eyes narrowed.

"You seem irritated."

"I'm just getting a haircut."

"That's not what I asked."

Ron looked at her reflection.

"I don't want another lecture."

Mahesh lowered his eyes.

Seema remained still.

"You don't get to decide when a conversation ends."

Ron laughed under his breath.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"I heard you."

Ron looked at her.

"You always have something to say."

Seema's voice hardened.

"And you always have an excuse."

Ron turned slightly in the chair.

"I've already been punished."

"For what?"

"You know what."

"I want to hear you say it."

Ron shook his head.

"Forget it."

Seema stepped closer.

"Say it."

"I made a mistake."

"That isn't enough."

Ron became frustrated.

"What do you want me to say?"

"The truth."

He stared at her.

"You think you're better than everyone here."

Silence.

Mahesh stopped moving.

Seema looked at Ron through the mirror.

"I think?"

Ron realized he had crossed a line.

But pride pushed him forward.

"You heard me."

Seema took a slow breath.

Mahesh quietly switched off the clippers.

Seema looked at him.

"Stop."

Mahesh obeyed.

Ron frowned.

"Why did you stop?"

Seema looked at the barber's equipment.

Then at Ron.

"Take the cape off."

Ron stood.

"Why?"

"Take it off."

Ron did so.

He thought perhaps she was sending him back to his cell.

Instead, Seema said something that made the room feel suddenly colder.

"Shave his head."

Ron stared at her.

"What?"

Mahesh looked shocked.

"Madam?"

"You heard me."

Ron laughed nervously.

"No."

Seema turned toward him.

"No?"

"I just need a haircut."

"You've made your opinion about prison discipline very clear."

"Madam, please."

"Mahesh."

The barber hesitated.

"Madam, standard regulations—"

"I gave you an instruction."

Mahesh looked at Ron.

Ron shook his head.

"Please don't."

Mahesh looked uncomfortable.

Seema's expression remained rigid.

"Prepare him."

Ron stepped backward.

"No."

The barber did not move.

Ron looked from one man to the other.

"I'm sorry."

Seema stared at him.

"I'm sorry, Madam."

"Now you remember?"

"I shouldn't have spoken to you that way."

"Sit."

Ron remained standing.

"Please."

"Sit down."

He slowly returned to the chair.


Chapter Three: The First Pass

Mahesh placed the cape around Ron again.

His hands were visibly uncomfortable.

Ron stared at himself in the mirror.

"Please," he whispered.

Mahesh said quietly, "Keep still."

The clippers switched on.

Bzzzzzzzzzz.

Ron closed his eyes.

The first pass began at the front.

The clipper moved backward.

A strip of dark hair disappeared.

It fell across the cape.

Ron opened his eyes.

The reflection was already changing.

"Stop."

Mahesh continued.

"Please stop."

The buzzing drowned him out.

Another pass.

Another.

Dark hair fell around his shoulders.

The barber worked systematically, removing the longer hair until only short stubble remained.

The floor slowly became covered with hair.

Ron stared at it.

His breathing became uneven.

Seema stood behind him.

"Look at yourself."

Ron didn't answer.

"Look."

He opened his eyes.

The mirror showed a head covered in short, uneven stubble.

His forehead looked larger.

His face looked different.

He barely recognized himself.

Mahesh switched off the clippers.

Silence returned.

Ron whispered:

"That's enough."

Seema looked at him.

"No."

Ron turned.

"Please."

"Prepare the razor."

Mahesh's face tightened.

"Madam..."

"Do it."

Mahesh opened the shaving kit.

The metallic click of the razor being prepared sounded strangely loud.

Ron swallowed.

"You said this was a haircut."

Seema answered:

"I said nothing."

"I'll behave."

"You should have done that before."

"I'm sorry."

"I've heard that already."

Ron looked at Mahesh.

"Please don't."

Mahesh couldn't meet his eyes.


Chapter Four: The Razor

Mahesh brought a bowl of warm water to the chair.

He soaked a towel and gently pressed it against Ron's scalp.

Steam rose faintly.

Ron sat rigidly.

His hands gripped the chair.

Mahesh removed the towel and applied shaving lather over the remaining stubble.

The white foam covered Ron's scalp.

Ron stared at himself.

He looked terrified.

Seema watched from the wall.

Mahesh picked up the straight razor.

He checked the blade.

Ron saw it in the mirror.

His breathing quickened.

"Please."

Mahesh paused.

"Keep still."

The razor touched the front of Ron's scalp.

The first stroke was slow.

The blade traveled backward through the lather.

A clean strip appeared.

The barber wiped the blade.

Another stroke.

Another.

The white foam carried away tiny remnants of hair.

Ron closed his eyes.

His breathing became shaky.

Mahesh worked carefully, never pressing harder than necessary.

He moved from the center toward the side.

Then the other side.

Around the temples, he used shorter strokes.

Near the ears, he adjusted the angle of the blade.

At the back, he asked Ron to lower his head.

"Chin down."

Ron obeyed.

The razor moved carefully along the back of his scalp.

Hair and lather accumulated on the cape.

Some fell to the floor.

Ron opened his eyes.

The transformation was almost complete.

Only small sections remained.

Mahesh reapplied lather.

"Almost finished."

Ron whispered:

"I hate this."

Mahesh looked at him through the mirror.

"I know."

The final strokes removed the remaining stubble.

Mahesh wiped Ron's scalp with a warm towel.

He checked carefully for any missed patches.

Then he cleaned the remaining lather.

The mirror showed a completely shaved head.

Ron stared.

Tears ran down his cheeks.

He quickly wiped them away.

He didn't want Seema to see.

But she had already noticed.

For several seconds, nobody spoke.

Then Mahesh removed the cape.

Hair covered the floor.

The dark strands looked strangely insignificant now.

Ron stared at them.

All that hair.

Gone.

Seema approached.

"Stand."

Ron stood.

He looked at himself one final time.

He felt exposed.

Humiliated.

Angry.

And strangely empty.

Seema looked at his shaved head.

"This is what happens when you refuse to learn."

Ron looked at her.

"No."

Seema frowned.

"No?"

Ron swallowed.

"This isn't teaching me."

Silence.

"It just makes me hate you."

Mahesh froze.

Seema's expression changed.

For the first time, her anger seemed to falter.

Ron continued.

"I know what I did was wrong."

His voice shook.

"But this..."

He touched his scalp.

"This isn't justice."

Seema stared at him.

Ron turned away.

"I know what I did."

Then he walked out.


Chapter Five: The Complaint

That evening, Ron sat alone in his cell.

He touched his head.

The skin felt unfamiliar.

He remembered every sound from the barber shop.

The clippers.

The razor.

The hair hitting the floor.

He remembered crying.

But another thought had begun to replace the humiliation.

He had been wrong.

Not about the haircut.

About the crime.

For weeks he had focused almost entirely on what prison was doing to him.

He had barely thought about the woman who had experienced his harassment.

He had been angry because he was embarrassed.

That realization hurt.

Ron eventually stood and approached the cell door.

"I want to report something."

The night officer looked at him.

"What?"

"The head shave."

The officer frowned.

"Go on."

"It wasn't part of my scheduled haircut."

"Who ordered it?"

Ron hesitated.

"Officer Seema."

The officer's expression changed.

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"Did you threaten her?"

"No."

"Did you insult her?"

Ron looked down.

"Yes."

"Then?"

"I was disrespectful."

The officer waited.

"But that doesn't make the shaving right."

The officer nodded slowly.

"I'll record your complaint."

Ron returned to his bunk.

For the first time, he understood something important.

Accountability worked in both directions.

His crime didn't give prison staff unlimited power over him.

And the mistreatment he had experienced did not erase the harm he had caused someone else.

Both things could be true.


Chapter Six: Seema

Seema was called into the superintendent's office the following morning.

She knew immediately why.

The superintendent placed a file on the desk.

"Sit."

She did.

"Did you order Ron's head shaved?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"He insulted me."

"That's not a disciplinary regulation."

"He showed no remorse."

"That's also not an authorization."

Seema said nothing.

The superintendent opened the file.

"You've worked here seventeen years."

"Yes."

"Do you know better?"

Seema stared at the floor.

"Yes."

"Then why did you do it?"

She had no good answer.

Anger was the answer.

Frustration.

Years of hearing men minimize harassment.

Years of watching women arrive frightened to report crimes.

Years of prisoners laughing about behavior that had terrified someone.

But none of that justified what she had done.

"I lost my temper," she finally said.

The superintendent nodded.

"Then admit that."

Seema swallowed.

"I abused my authority."

The words were difficult.

But necessary.


Chapter Seven: The Second Conversation

Several days later, Seema encountered Ron in the recreation yard.

She stopped.

"Ron."

He turned.

"Yes?"

"I need to speak with you."

He approached.

Seema looked at him directly.

"What I did in the barber shop was wrong."

Ron said nothing.

"I had no authority to order that punishment."

He touched his head unconsciously.

"I know."

"I apologize."

Ron looked surprised.

Seema continued.

"That doesn't erase what you did before coming here."

"I know."

"You need to understand that too."

"I do."

Seema watched him carefully.

"Do you?"

Ron nodded.

"I've been thinking about it."

"What have you learned?"

Ron looked across the yard.

"That I thought everything was a joke."

Seema waited.

"I thought if someone laughed, it was harmless."

"And?"

"It wasn't."

He paused.

"I made someone uncomfortable because I wanted attention."

Seema nodded.

"That's closer."

Ron looked at her.

"I'm sorry."

This time, he wasn't apologizing because he wanted his hair.

He wasn't apologizing because he wanted to leave prison.

He wasn't apologizing because someone had demanded it.

He was apologizing because he finally understood.


Chapter Eight: Hair

Months passed.

Ron completed his rehabilitation program.

His hair slowly grew back.

At first it was barely visible.

Then came a rough layer of stubble.

Then enough growth that he could once again see the familiar shape of his hairstyle returning.

One morning, Mahesh saw him passing the barber shop.

"Need a trim?"

Ron smiled.

"Not today."

Mahesh nodded.

Ron stopped.

"Actually..."

"Yes?"

"Someday."

Mahesh smiled.

"Whenever you're ready."

Ron looked through the doorway.

The chair was empty.

The mirror reflected the room.

He remembered sitting there terrified.

But he also remembered what happened afterward.

He had entered prison thinking only about himself.

He would leave understanding that other people existed beyond his own feelings.

That was the real transformation.

Not the shaved head.

Not the humiliation.

Not the razor.

The realization.


Chapter Nine: Release

Nearly a year after entering prison, Ron stood at the same gate through which he had entered.

This time he carried a small bag containing his belongings.

His clothes were ordinary.

His hair had grown back.

The prison uniform was gone.

The gate opened.

He stopped for a moment.

Behind him, the prison remained exactly what it had always been.

Concrete.

Steel.

Rules.

Memories.

Seema stood several meters away.

Ron looked at her.

She nodded.

He nodded back.

Neither smiled.

Neither needed to.

Ron walked through the gate.

Outside, the world was painfully ordinary.

Cars moved along the road.

People talked.

A shopkeeper lifted a shutter.

A woman crossed the street while looking at her phone.

Life continued.

Ron stood on the pavement and took a deep breath.

He knew the world outside prison would not magically forgive him.

He knew his conviction would remain part of his history.

He knew that one apology couldn't undo what had happened.

But he also knew something he hadn't understood at twenty-three.

A person could be responsible for what he had done without believing he was beyond redemption.

He began walking.

Behind him, the prison gate closed.

Clank.

For once, the sound did not mean that something was closing around him.

It meant that something was staying behind.

The Weekly HeadShave

  The first thing Ron noticed about prison was the sound. Not the shouting. Not the metal doors. Not the guards' boots striking the conc...